Almost every article on the WordPress Codex to external link references, and many of these now lead to dead sites. If you would like to help verify and clean these up, possibly adding new updated references and resources, here are the guidelines.
- External links must be to active sites.
- External link resources must be directly associated with the intention and purpose of the article.
- External links must offer the most in-depth reference material inline with the purpose of the article.
- External links should not be used for self-promotion or unrelated content.
- Use your best judgment. Would you rejoice at finding this additional resource to help you understand better how this works?