There are several ways to use feeds in WordPress. The articles we have on the Codex need updating and maybe some additions. In general, feeds are used:
- In sidebars from external sites
- In sidebars from internal categories/custom post types/tags
- Author feeds for internal use in sidebars, etc.
- Category specific feeds for external use
- Tag specific feed for external use
- Author feeds for external use (and all the various feeds available)
- Removing WordPress default feeds and replacing them with an alternative
- Replacing content with feeds
And variations thereof.
Current articles are:
Someone up to date on feeds and WordPress want to take on a WordPress Lessons post to cover some of the missing bits and update the rest?